News

Gentile visitatore, purtroppo questa pagina non è disponibile in italiano.

myclimate awards pioneering companies in sustainable tourism at ITB Berlin NOW

myclimate honoured four companies with the myclimate Awards at ITB Berlin NOW 2021 (International Tourism Exchange Berlin). The 2021 winners are the travel provider Kilroy from Copenhagen, the Cervo Mountain Resort from Zermatt, the destination My Leukerbad AG and the newly founded german bus travel provider Pinkbus. Before the award ceremony, myclimate hosted a panel discussion on the topic of «Carbon footprinting in the accommodation industry».

Photo: Ophélie Authier

Four different tourism providers were presented with awards by myclimate at this year's ITB.

 

The travel company Kilroy: «Pioneer holistic sustainable and affordable travel experiences for young people»

Together with myclimate, Kilroy has programmed a CO2 calculator for its customers. This allows end users to analyze the CO2 emissions of their trip and offset them through valuable, certified carbon offset projects. In addition, the company raises awareness among young travellers about the various aspects of sustainable travel, provides tips and webinars on this topic and is increasing its range of sustainable travel offers. The Cervo Mountain Resort Zermatt: «Pioneer sustainable hotel industry globally and locally». 95% of the Cervo's energy needs are covered by geothermal energy. In the future, the hotel wants to use a sustainable solution for the remaining 5% as well. The food on offer is seasonal and regional - the ingredients travel no more than 150 km to reach the Cervo's plates. With the implementation of the myclimate «Cause We Care» programme as an umbrella for all measures, the Cervo actively involves its guests in its own sustainability activities.

 

The Cervo Mountain Resort Zermatt: «Pioneer sustainable hotel industry globally and locally».

95% of the Cervo's energy needs are covered by geothermal energy. In the future, the hotel wants to use a sustainable solution for the remaining 5% as well. The food on offer is seasonal and regional - the ingredients travel no more than 150 km to reach the Cervo's plates. With the implementation of the myclimate «Cause We Care» programme as an umbrella for all measures, the Cervo actively involves its guests in its own sustainability activities.

 

My Leukerbad AG: «Pioneer integration of climate protection measures at a tourist destination»

In addition to its own sustainability measures, such as an investment in solar panels or a replacement of lighting elements, Leukerbad actively nudges its guests towards sustainable issues. Together with myclimate «Cause We Care» guests can book climate-neutral experiences and thus contribute to even more sustainability measures on site. As one of only a few ski areas, a climate protection contribution has been directly integrated into the sales price of the day and multi-day tickets in the Torrent ski area.

 

Pinkbus: «Pioneer climate neutrality in travel mobility»

From the very beginning, the bus travel provider has been committed to climate protection and has taken responsibility for the benefit of its customers. All trips booked with Pinkbus are automatically offset with myclimate climate protection projects. The compensation is part of the offer and does not cost the customers any effort. The young start-up is showing so much courage in a difficult time for the tourism industry.

 

Calculating and reducing CO2 emissions in the accommodation industry

Before the award ceremony on March 10th, myclimate held a panel discussion on the topic «Calculate and Reduce CO2 Emissions: Saving Climate and Costs in the Hotel and Non-Hotel Accomodation Business». Dr Bettina Kahlert, Head of Resource Efficiency at myclimate, presented the ways in which myclimate calculates emissions in the hotel industry and which are the most important emission factors as well as the most promising measures for reduction. Leo Maissen, Chief Executive Officer Hotel Operations at the Tschuggen Hotel Group, described from a practical point of view which measures the Tschuggen hotels were able to use to reduce their carbon footprint after such a CO2 analysis. The discussion was led by Christian Baumgartner, Professor for Sustainable Tourism at the University of Applied Sciences Grisons in Chur.

Rimanga informato/a!